Reformed Churchmen

We are Confessional Calvinists and a Prayer Book Church-people. In 2012, we remembered the 350th anniversary of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer; also, we remembered the 450th anniversary of John Jewel's sober, scholarly, and Reformed "An Apology of the Church of England." In 2013, we remembered the publication of the "Heidelberg Catechism" and the influence of Reformed theologians in England, including Heinrich Bullinger's Decades. For 2014: Tyndale's NT translation. For 2015, John Roger, Rowland Taylor and Bishop John Hooper's martyrdom, burned at the stakes. Books of the month. December 2014: Alan Jacob's "Book of Common Prayer" at: January 2015: A.F. Pollard's "Thomas Cranmer and the English Reformation: 1489-1556" at: February 2015: Jaspar Ridley's "Thomas Cranmer" at:

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

30 December 1150 A.D. Homcultram Abbey, Abbeytown, Cumbria, UK—Founded by Cistercian Monks & Henry, Son of David 1, King of Scotland, on 30 Dec 1150 from Melrose, Scotland

30 December 1150 A.D.  Homcultram Abbey, Abbeytown, Cumbria, UK—Founded by Cistercian Monks & Henry, Son of David 1, King of Scotland, on 30 Dec 1150 from Melrose, Scotland;  Church in Parochial Use Since 1538 Until an Arson Incident 9 Jun 2006;  Currently Roofless, Boarded-up, & Awaiting Restoration; 315 Miles NW of London by 2200 as the Crow Flies

Holmcultram Abbey

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Holmcultram Abbey
Holmcultram Abbey
Monastery information
Full name
Holmcultram Abbey
Visible remains
Nave; still used as the parish church
Public access

Holmcultram Abbey (alternatively Holm Cultram Abbey or Holme Cultram Abbey) was a Cistercian monastery founded in 1150 in what is now the village of Abbeytown in Cumbria in England but at the time of foundation was in territory in the possession of David I of Scotland, who together with his son, Henry, founded it in 1150. The mother-house was Melrose Abbey, of the filiation of Cîteaux.

The community established a daughter house at Grey Abbey in Northern Irelandin 1193.

The area was re-claimed in 1157 by Henry II of England and the abbey's Scots origins did not protect it thereafter from attacks by Scots raiders, from whom it suffered repeatedly from 1216 onwards, with a particularly severe attack in 1319. It was dissolved in 1538, when the parish petitioned for, and obtained, the use of the church.

Of the monastic buildings, nothing survives. The former abbey church underwent a series of structural accidents (such as the collapse of the tower in 1600) and alterations as a result of which it gradually shrank to comprise the first six bays of the nave, without aisles. In addition the roof was lowered to the height of a single storey and there were two energetic restorations in 1883 and 1913. This nevertheless left a large enough building to continue to serve to the present day as the parish church of Abbeytown.

The church was severely damaged by arson on 9 June 2006, when original records of the monastery, including the cartulary, were destroyed.[1]



See also


  • New, Anthony, 1985: A Guide to the Abbeys of England and Wales. London: Constable ISBN 0-09-463520-X
  • Robinson, David (ed.), 2002: The Cistercian Abbeys of Britain. London: B.T. Batsford ISBN 0-7134-8727-5

External links

No comments: