Reformed Churchmen

We are Confessional Calvinists and a Prayer Book Church-people. In 2012, we remembered the 350th anniversary of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer; also, we remembered the 450th anniversary of John Jewel's sober, scholarly, and Reformed "An Apology of the Church of England." In 2013, we remembered the publication of the "Heidelberg Catechism" and the influence of Reformed theologians in England, including Heinrich Bullinger's Decades. For 2014: Tyndale's NT translation. For 2015, John Roger, Rowland Taylor and Bishop John Hooper's martyrdom, burned at the stakes. Books of the month. December 2014: Alan Jacob's "Book of Common Prayer" at: http://www.amazon.com/Book-Common-Prayer-Biography-Religious/dp/0691154813/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417814005&sr=8-1&keywords=jacobs+book+of+common+prayer. January 2015: A.F. Pollard's "Thomas Cranmer and the English Reformation: 1489-1556" at: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Cranmer-English-Reformation-1489-1556/dp/1592448658/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420055574&sr=8-1&keywords=A.F.+Pollard+Cranmer. February 2015: Jaspar Ridley's "Thomas Cranmer" at: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Cranmer-Jasper-Ridley/dp/0198212879/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422892154&sr=8-1&keywords=jasper+ridley+cranmer&pebp=1422892151110&peasin=198212879

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Psalms at Evensong (Day 8): 41-43

Psalms at Evensong (Day 8): 41-43

Psalm 41 Beatus qui intelligit
Psalms

How do I sing Anglican Chant?

BLESSED is he that considereth the ˡ poor and ˡ needy : the Lord shall deliver him ˡ in the ˡ time of ˡ trouble.
2. The Lord preserve him, and keep him alive, that he may be ˡ blessed upon ˡ earth : and deliver not thou him ˡ into the ˡ will of his ˡ enemies.

3. The Lord comfort him, when he lieth sick upˡon his ˡ bed : make thou ˡ all his ˡ bed in his ˡ sickness.
4. I said, Lord, be merciful ˡ unto ˡ me : heal my soul, for ˡ I have ˡ sinned aˡgainst thee.

5. Mine enemies speak ˡ evil ˡ of me : When shall he die, ˡ and his ˡ name ˡ perish?
6. And if he come to see me, he ˡ speaketh ˡ vanity : and his heart conceiveth falsehood within himself, and when he ˡ cometh ˡ forth he ˡ telleth it.

7. All mine enemies whisper toˡgether aˡgainst me : even against me do ˡ they imˡagine this ˡ evil.
8. Let the sentence of guiltiness proˡceed aˡgainst him : and now that he lieth, ˡ let him rise ˡ up no ˡ more.

9. Yea, even mine own familiar friend, ˡ whom I ˡ trusted : who did also eat of my bread, hath ˡ laid great ˡ wait for ˡ me.
10. But be thou merciful unto ˡ me, O ˡ Lord : raise thou me up again, ˡ and I ˡ shall reˡward them.

11. By this I know thou ˡ favourest ˡ me : that mine enemy ˡ doth not ˡ triumph aˡgainst me.
12. And when I am in my health, ˡ thou upˡholdest me : and shalt set me beˡfore thy ˡ face for ˡ ever.
(2nd pt) 13. Blessed be the Lord ˡ God of ˡ Israel : world without ˡ end. ˡ Aˡ men.

Glory be to the Father, and ˡ to the ˡ Son : and ˡ to the ˡ Holy ˡ Ghost;
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ˡ ever ˡ shall be : world without ˡ end. ˡ Aˡmen.


From St. Paul's, London. Sorry, you'll have to make the purchase to hear it. Quite lovely.

Psalms from St. Paul's, Vol. 4: Psalms 41-55 Thomas Attwood (Composer), Edward Bairstow (Composer), Joseph Barnby (Composer), Robert Cooke (Composer), John Davy (Composer), John Foster (Composer), John [Composer] Goss (Composer), Martin Luther (Composer), George Arthur Scaife (Composer), John Stainer (Composer), George Thalben-Ball (Composer), Various Composers (Composer), Thomas Attwood Walmisley (Composer), Samuel Wesley (Composer), Samuel Sebastian Wesley (Composer), Michael Wise (Composer), John Scott (Conductor), Andrew Lucas (Performer)
$23.98 £9.99

No comments: