Reformed Churchmen

We are Confessional Calvinists and a Prayer Book Church-people. In 2012, we remembered the 350th anniversary of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer; also, we remembered the 450th anniversary of John Jewel's sober, scholarly, and Reformed "An Apology of the Church of England." In 2013, we remembered the publication of the "Heidelberg Catechism" and the influence of Reformed theologians in England, including Heinrich Bullinger's Decades. For 2014: Tyndale's NT translation. For 2015, John Roger, Rowland Taylor and Bishop John Hooper's martyrdom, burned at the stakes. Books of the month. December 2014: Alan Jacob's "Book of Common Prayer" at: http://www.amazon.com/Book-Common-Prayer-Biography-Religious/dp/0691154813/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417814005&sr=8-1&keywords=jacobs+book+of+common+prayer. January 2015: A.F. Pollard's "Thomas Cranmer and the English Reformation: 1489-1556" at: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Cranmer-English-Reformation-1489-1556/dp/1592448658/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420055574&sr=8-1&keywords=A.F.+Pollard+Cranmer. February 2015: Jaspar Ridley's "Thomas Cranmer" at: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Cranmer-Jasper-Ridley/dp/0198212879/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422892154&sr=8-1&keywords=jasper+ridley+cranmer&pebp=1422892151110&peasin=198212879

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

SGM-Mahaneygate: Mickey Connolly and Crossway Church, Charlotte, NC

SGM Counseling Techniques 101
Another FB post by Detwiler re: Mickey Connolly, CrossWays Church, Charlotte, NC. It was posted Wed AM, 2 Nov 2011, at 0917 EST. It was posted at: https://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/brent-detwiler/connollys-repeated-claim-of-sinless-perfection/300996796594558 Though posted on FB, it does not appear on Brent’s website. Brent says he may write a 200-300 page document on CrossWay. Beyond the 600 + pages already written (see http://www.scribd.com/sgmwikileaks), we know that Brent has already submitted 1000 pages to AoR, that is, 400 pages beyond the original 600 pages in the catastrophic and explosuive SGMwikileaks.  Now, he may write another document of 200-300 pages on CrossWays Church, a church Detwiler founded in 1991.  We believe that Brent has been seriously traumatized and is experiencing PTSD, a complex set of consequences, one of which includes obsessions.  Here’s the FB text of date 2 Nov 2011, 0917 EST.

Connolly’s Repeated Claim of Sinless Perfection.
by Brent Detwiler on Wednesday, November 2, 2011 at 9:17am


Here is just a small part of the evidence substantiating Mickey’s clam of sinless perfection and the cover up that ensued. It continues with Joe’s comments. I may write a major document in the coming year about Mickey, Larry, et al. I’d call it “The CrossWay Connection.’ It would be 200-300 pages long. Instead, I am hoping the pastors humble themselves and come clean.

From: Brent Detwiler
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2010 5:38 PM
To: Mickey Connolly
Subject: Confess Lying


I’m afraid I do [need to say it again]. You’ve made it abundantly clear that you, the CW pastors, and the Assessment Team [e.g. Bob Kauflin], don’t feel you’ve done anything wrong and to quote you, “don’t believe [you] need to ask [my] forgiveness for anything.” That makes reconciliation impossible. Then, to make matters worse, you lied and denied saying this. When exposed you didn’t confess and the CW pastors and Assessment Team took no I steps that I am aware of to address your deceit. Instead Bob confronted me for holding you accountable. So if you want to break the stalemate you could begin by acknowledging your lying to the SGM leadership team, to the CW pastors, and the Grace leaders.

From: Brent Detwiler
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 11:50 AM
To: Mickey.Connolly
Subject: RE: Grounds for Reconciliation


I resigned from Grace Community Church on July 25, 2009. The Family Meeting announcing the closure of the church followed on August 22. One month later on September 23, you wrote me the following, “I have asked for the evaluations of Dave, Gene, the SGM assessment team and our local team [comprised of seven men], as well as examining my own conscience, and I don’t believe I need to ask your forgiveness for anything in regard to events surrounding the church plant.” I first proposed the church plant on April 12, 2006.

No input from 12 men (assuming each provided you an evaluation) had any impact upon your conscience. You claimed no need to ask forgiveness for any wrongdoing whether it be sins of commission or omission. Since September 23, 2009, you have maintained this same posture of perfection. If you come under conviction for specific sins, please write me about them. As I’ve said before, reconciliation is desirable but impossible, until you have a radical change of heart.

From: Brent Detwiler
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:31 PM
To: Aron Osborne; Craig Cabaniss; John Loftness; Mark Prater; Mickey Connolly; Pete Greasley; Rick Gamache; Steve Shank; C. J. Mahaney; Dave Harvey; Jeff Purswell; Joshua Harris
Cc: Edgar Keinath; Ted Kober
Subject: Willingness to Meet


Dave, Jeff, Mickey, Craig, Aron, Mark, Pete, Rick, John, and Steve,

This afternoon around 2:00 pm, Mickey Connolly dropped off the letter I’ve included below. Here is my brief response.

I have earnestly and repeatedly expressed my interest in meeting with C.J., the Board of Directors, and a mediator if necessary over the last 17 months. I placed two conditions upon such a meeting. One, C.J. acknowledge the need for a public confession to the SGM churches and pastors. Two, C.J. provide a thorough response to my points, questions and illustrations in RRF&D, AFA, and CR.
Neither of these conditions have been met.

In the first case, no need for confession has ever been conveyed to me. In the second case, I was promised a thorough response by C.J. but he did not provide it; and you, the SGM Board of Directors, failed to hold him accountable.

This morning, I wrote you regarding the following accusations. The letter delivered by Mickey this afternoon is a continuation of your attempts to frame the issues. Therefore, it is imperative you substantiate these charges.

“That Brent Detwiler’s refusal to participate in mediation with C.J. Mahaney—unless Mahaney first agrees (a) to publish an extensive written response to each of Detwiler’s accusations and (b) to make a public confession prior to any mediation or impartial evaluation of his charges—is unjust and constitutes a denial of biblically grounded due process for a qualified minister of the gospel The SGM Board has slandered me on these points.” (Dave Harvey, SGM blog, July 13)

Here is what the evidence clearly shows. There are two reasons we have not met face to face and that is C.J.’s unwillingness to keep his word and his unwillingness to acknowledge any need for public confession. Both these conditions are reasonable and necessary given C.J.’s position, the seriousness of his sin, the effects of those sins on SGM, the abuse I’ve suffered, the deceit I’ve experienced, and the need to adequately prepare for such a meeting.

Instead you continue to try and fix the blame on me for not meeting. This is contrary to the facts. The blame rests solely on C.J. and you, the SGM Board of Directors. Let me restate, I am glad to meet once C.J. provides open, honest, and accountable answers and all of you acknowledge the need for a confession to the SGM churches and pastors. If all I’ve written, along with that from many other witnesses against C.J. and SGM, has not convinced you of the need for public repentance, confession and restitution; then no additional efforts will barring a divine intervention by God of extraordinary power. If that happens, I’ll be glad to meet.

In the meantime, I’ll remain prayerful and continue to share my thoughts with Ted Kober and Ed Keinath from Ambassadors of Reconciliation.

Sincerely,
Brent


P.S. I spoke again with Mickey about his claim of sinless perfection toward me since April 2006 to the present. In the past, Mickey asked twelve other men for input regarding his relationship with me but that resulted in no contrition or confession. I’ve also provided observations for Mickey over the last five years but it has produced no fruit. Mickey maintains his sinlessness. The CrossWay pastors have followed Mickey’s example and adapted a similar position. Those are just a couple reasons we’ve not continued to meet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

[Brent STILL wants to dictate the term of the CJ Inquisition with himself as chief Inquisitor. He so desperately wants the role of Torquemada.]

What I'm not seeing, in recent months, is any particular proof that C.J. is a "sick man."

I believe he's been arrogant in all probability.

But I suspect he loves SGM with all his little pea-pickin' heart. That's his baby.

Has he stepped on toes? MANY I am sure.

Has he been faithful to his wife? It appears so. Has he had an honest desire to serve God with his gifts? I have no answer for that.

Is he insane? Not at all. There is NOTHING in the myriad of posts I've read over the last 6 months to suggest any mental illness on C.J.'s part.

Reformation said...

This scribe has read those 600 pages six times and referred to them carefully afterwards. You'll need to do the studious and extended homework of close analysis before greater credibility can be brought to your comments.