Reformed Churchmen

We are Confessional Calvinists and a Prayer Book Church-people. In 2012, we remembered the 350th anniversary of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer; also, we remembered the 450th anniversary of John Jewel's sober, scholarly, and Reformed "An Apology of the Church of England." In 2013, we remembered the publication of the "Heidelberg Catechism" and the influence of Reformed theologians in England, including Heinrich Bullinger's Decades. For 2014: Tyndale's NT translation. For 2015, John Roger, Rowland Taylor and Bishop John Hooper's martyrdom, burned at the stakes. Books of the month. December 2014: Alan Jacob's "Book of Common Prayer" at: http://www.amazon.com/Book-Common-Prayer-Biography-Religious/dp/0691154813/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417814005&sr=8-1&keywords=jacobs+book+of+common+prayer. January 2015: A.F. Pollard's "Thomas Cranmer and the English Reformation: 1489-1556" at: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Cranmer-English-Reformation-1489-1556/dp/1592448658/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420055574&sr=8-1&keywords=A.F.+Pollard+Cranmer. February 2015: Jaspar Ridley's "Thomas Cranmer" at: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Cranmer-Jasper-Ridley/dp/0198212879/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422892154&sr=8-1&keywords=jasper+ridley+cranmer&pebp=1422892151110&peasin=198212879

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Advent 2, 2011: Memories Worth Preserving/Bp. Theophilus Herter (REC)

Advent 2: The Second Sunday in Advent.
The Collect.
BLESSED Lord, who hast caused all holy Scriptures to be written for our learning; Grant that we may in such wise hear them, read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest them, that by patience and comfort of thy holy Word, we may embrace, and ever hold fast, the blessed hope of everlasting life, which thou hast given us in our Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.
· · · 17 minutes ago

  • Jim Powell likes this.
    • Charles L. Baker Some Reformed refuse even to pray this!
      15 minutes ago ·
    • Donald Philip Veitch
      A favourite here. Bishop Theophilus Herter (old REC), PhD under John Murray of WTS-east (very old school), offered this prayer every time as he gave us lectures on the NT at Reformed Episcopal Seminary. He always knelt on the floor. Then,... proceeded, as usual, to his detailed and very demanding NT lectures. His godliness was as great as his scholarship (and wisdom). The REC is gone now. Overrun by "Anglican enthusiasts" romanticizing over vestments and Tractarians. Alas, the exile. Still, Advent 2 prayer rules.See More
      14 minutes ago ·
    • Donald Philip Veitch Charles, phoohey on the Reformed here. Nonsense and phoohey.
      13 minutes ago ·
    • Donald Philip Veitch Charles, old Bp Herter was trustworthy to the core. He influenced me principally. Theologically, historically, pastorally. He was godly, learned, funny, fair and scholarly. Regrettably, he was too humble to publish anything. Yet, he hung out with scholars.
      11 minutes ago ·
    • Donald Philip Veitch
      Charles, the old and godly Bishop Herter, scholar, PhD in NT under Murray at the old Westminster. Time: 1987. He came down and plopped down next to me. He was in his 80s, an old Anglican Bishop. He said to me, "Don [I was called that i...n academic contexts], my sins are so weighty." Ponderingly, he said, "Could the LORD forgive me of these manifold transgressions and sins of so many years?" I was perplexed. The old Master was pondering. I said, "Sir, Christ's active and passive obedience, His very righteousness, is our's by faith alone." The elderly Bishop said, "Don, I taught you well. You are right. I needed to hear that today." The old Master died one week later. I attended the old and godly Bishop's funeral in Jun 1987...with the old BCP service. He was a believer, assuredly. A man informed by the old BCP too. I still think of him. Old Theo Herter, a worthy Bishop and Scholar. We have none of those in America...at least none that I trust. This man was gold.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Charles, the old and godly Bishop Herter, scholar, PhD in NT under Murray at the old Westminster. Time: 1987. He came down and plopped down next to me. He was in his 80s, an old Anglican Bishop. He said to me, "Don [I was called that i...n academic contexts], my sins are so weighty." Ponderingly, he said, "Could the LORD forgive me of these manifold transgressions and sins of so many years?" I was perplexed. The old Master was pondering. I said, "Sir, Christ's active and passive obedience, His very righteousness, is our's by faith alone." The elderly Bishop said, "Don, I taught you well. You are right. I needed to hear that today."

And as Bishop Theo asks; I ask. How can the dear Lord forgive me of the manifold transgressions of many years? And yet He says his shed blood covers them. Unfathomable grace.