- We have J.C. Ryle’s entry filed, but what were Mr. Whitefield’s strengths?
- What were his weaknesses?
- Why was he excluded from Church of England parishes?
- Has his name been tarnished by poisoned wells? Has he been unduly exalted by hagiographers? What was the true measure of the man?
- What of his vision problem? Cause?
- What were his doctrinal coordinates to the Reformed Articles, Homilies and Book of Common Prayer?
- What was the theological tenor of the 18th century? In the churches and at OXBRIDGE?
- What was the bibliography recommended by Mr. Whitefield for the Savannah charity? And for workers’ development?
- Why did Rev. Charles Chauncey take issue with Mr. Whitefield?
- Did Whitefield preach at Christ Church, New Bern, NC in 1742? (New Bern is about 35-40 miles north of Camp Lejeune, NC and folk lore claims this.)
- What of his marriage and what became of it?
- Why did he never take a parish, live, preach, administer the sacraments and die with his people? Why the incessant need to itinerate?
We are Confessional Calvinists and a Prayer Book Church-people. In 2012, we remembered the 350th anniversary of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer; also, we remembered the 450th anniversary of John Jewel's sober, scholarly, and Reformed "An Apology of the Church of England." In 2013, we remembered the publication of the "Heidelberg Catechism" and the influence of Reformed theologians in England, including Heinrich Bullinger's Decades. For 2014: Tyndale's NT translation. For 2015, John Roger, Rowland Taylor and Bishop John Hooper's martyrdom, burned at the stakes. Books of the month. December 2014: Alan Jacob's "Book of Common Prayer" at: http://www.amazon.com/Book-Common-Prayer-Biography-Religious/dp/0691154813/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417814005&sr=8-1&keywords=jacobs+book+of+common+prayer. January 2015: A.F. Pollard's "Thomas Cranmer and the English Reformation: 1489-1556" at: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Cranmer-English-Reformation-1489-1556/dp/1592448658/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420055574&sr=8-1&keywords=A.F.+Pollard+Cranmer. February 2015: Jaspar Ridley's "Thomas Cranmer" at: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Cranmer-Jasper-Ridley/dp/0198212879/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422892154&sr=8-1&keywords=jasper+ridley+cranmer&pebp=1422892151110&peasin=198212879