Reformed Churchmen

We are Confessional Calvinists and a Prayer Book Church-people. In 2012, we remembered the 350th anniversary of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer; also, we remembered the 450th anniversary of John Jewel's sober, scholarly, and Reformed "An Apology of the Church of England." In 2013, we remembered the publication of the "Heidelberg Catechism" and the influence of Reformed theologians in England, including Heinrich Bullinger's Decades. For 2014: Tyndale's NT translation. For 2015, John Roger, Rowland Taylor and Bishop John Hooper's martyrdom, burned at the stakes. Books of the month. December 2014: Alan Jacob's "Book of Common Prayer" at: http://www.amazon.com/Book-Common-Prayer-Biography-Religious/dp/0691154813/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417814005&sr=8-1&keywords=jacobs+book+of+common+prayer. January 2015: A.F. Pollard's "Thomas Cranmer and the English Reformation: 1489-1556" at: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Cranmer-English-Reformation-1489-1556/dp/1592448658/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420055574&sr=8-1&keywords=A.F.+Pollard+Cranmer. February 2015: Jaspar Ridley's "Thomas Cranmer" at: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Cranmer-Jasper-Ridley/dp/0198212879/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422892154&sr=8-1&keywords=jasper+ridley+cranmer&pebp=1422892151110&peasin=198212879

Monday, August 11, 2014

11 August 1778 A.D. Rev. Augustus Toplady Dies— Dying Theological Avowal & Reprobation of Wesley the “Liar”


11 August 1778 A.D. Rev. Augustus Toplady Dies— Dying Theological Avowal & Reprobation of Wesley the “Liar”

Toplady, Augustus Montague.  “The Reverend Mr Toplady's Dying Avowal of his Religious Sentiments.”  22 Jul 1778.  Topldady.  http://www.toplady.org.uk/toplady%20writings/dying%20avowal.htm.  Accessed 11 Aug 2014.  

Before proceeding a few notes.  First, “For All the Saints…And let Thy soldiers,  faithful, true and bold, fight like the saints who fought of old.”  As a benchmark and pace-setter, Rev. Toplady confronted the wickednesses, theological corruption, hubris and deceits of Wesleyan Arminianism.  Modern Tractabatish, Neo-Marcionitic, Neo-Montanist, and evangelical elements in/amongst Western Anglicans won’t know, won’t have studied and won’t like this volume.  Some will have, but most won’t have. They like the little deity, the “God who just wants to______.”  It’s the “God just wants to” theology.   Who can abide the willfulness and the obstinacy?  Who can abide the un-Reformed, non-Reformed and even anti-Reformed posture amongst them.  Jim Packer and Gerald Bray are rare exceptions to the general rule.  We abhor the perversion of God’s attributes, but we return to our subject,  the Rev. Mr. Augustus Montague Toplady.


This site attempts to gather all Mr. Toplady’s writings at:  http://www.toplady.org.uk/index.html. 

But, for now, we return to “The Reverend Mr Toplady's Dying Avowal of his Religious Sentiments.”

 http://www.toplady.org.uk/toplady%20writings/Covers/dying%20avowal.jpg
 
 
 
Title : The Reverend Mr Toplady's Dying Avowal of his Religious Sentiments
 
Author : Augustus Montague Toplady
 
 
As Toplady lay dying rumours were spread that Toplady had renounced his Calvinism and that he wished to make peace with Wesley, on June 14th Toplady rose from his deathbed and preached a final sermon, following which he asked the dissenting ministers present in the congregation to join him in celebrating Holy Communion. This sermon formed the basis of this short pamphlet published a few days later, and shortly before his death on August 11th, 1778.
The text of this pamphlet is reproduced in full:
THE REVEREND
MR TOPLADY's
DYING AVOWAL, &c.
WHEREAS, some Time since, a wicked, scandalous, and false Report was diffused, in various parts of this Kingdom, by the Followers of Mr JOHN WESLEY ; purporting, that I have changed some of my religious Sentiments, especially such of them as relate more immediately to the Doctrines of Grace, I thought it my indispensable Duty, on the Sunday after I received this Information, which was the .13th of June last, publicly to declare myself, from the Pulpit in Orange-Street Chapel, to the following Effect :
" It having been industriously circulated, by some malicious and unprincipled Persons, that, during my present long and severe Illness, I expressed a strong desire of seeing Mr John Wesley before I die, and of revoking some Particulars relative to him, which occur in my Writings : Now, I do publicly and most solemnly aver, that I have not, nor ever had, any such Intention or Desire; and that I most s incerely hope, my last Hours will be much better employed, than in con versing with such a Man.”
To which I added:
“So certain and so satisfied am I, of the Truth of all that I have ever written ; that, was I now sitting up in my dying Bed, with a Pen and Ink in my Hand, and all the religious and contro­ versial Writings I ever published (more especially those relating to Mr John Wesley, and the Arminian Controversy) whether respecting Facts or Doctrines, could at once be displayed to my View, I should not strike out a single Line relative to him or them."
Matters read thus, when I received a Letter, dated July 17, 1778, from a Friend who lives near an hundred Miles from Town, in which Letter is the following Passage:
"I cannot help feeling an uncommon Emotion and Surprise, at the Report, that you have recanted all that you have written and said against John Wesley, and many like Things ; and that you declared as much to your Congregation, a few Weeks ago. I was told this, by two Persons, who said, they were there present at the Time. How am I amazed at such Falshoods! The Party, and Name, and Character, that are established by Lies, have no good Foundation, and therefore can never stand long."
This determined me to publish the present Address to the Religious World. I pray God to give the perfect Liars, Grace and Repentance to the Acknowledgment of the Truth. And may every Blessing, of the upper and of the nether Springs, be the Portion of those who maintain, who experience, and adorn the glorious Gospel of the Grace of GOD.
Should any hostile Notice be taken of this Paper, I do not intend to make any Kind of Reply. I am every Day in View of Dissolution. And, in the fullest Assurance of my eternal Salvation, (an Assurance which has not been clouded by a single Doubt, for near an Year and an half last past) am waiting, looking, and longing for the Coming of our Lord JESUS CHRIST.
I once intended subjoining to this Paper, the specific Outlines of my religious Sentiments ; but, on farther Reflection, I believe it may be more expedient, to refer the Reader to the several ( If the Reader wishes to see a doctrinal Compendium of these, he will find it, in a Sermon of mine intitled, A Caveat against unsound Doctrines : every Part of which I hereby avow to be declarative of my fixed and ultimate Judgment, ) Writings I have published : every one of which I do hereby, as a dying Man, ratify and declare to be expressive of my real religious Principles, from any one of which Principles I have never varied, in the least Degree, since God enlightened me into the clear Knowledge of his Truth ; which is now within a few Weeks of twenty Years ago I was awakened in the Month of August , 1755, but not, as has been falsly reported, under Mr John Wesley , or any preacher connected with him.
Though awakened in 1755, I was not led into a full and clear View of all the Doctrines of Grace, till the Year 1758, when, through the great Goodness of GOD, my Arminian Prejudices received an effectual Shock, in reading Dr MANTON'S Sermons on the xvii th of St John.
I shall remember the Years 1755, and 1758, with Gratitude and Joy, in the Heaven of Heavens, to all Eternity.
AUGUSTUS MONTAGUE TOPLADY.
Knightsbridge, July 22, 1778.

No comments: