Reformed Churchmen

We are Confessional Calvinists and a Prayer Book Church-people. In 2012, we remembered the 350th anniversary of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer; also, we remembered the 450th anniversary of John Jewel's sober, scholarly, and Reformed "An Apology of the Church of England." In 2013, we remembered the publication of the "Heidelberg Catechism" and the influence of Reformed theologians in England, including Heinrich Bullinger's Decades. For 2014: Tyndale's NT translation. For 2015, John Roger, Rowland Taylor and Bishop John Hooper's martyrdom, burned at the stakes. Books of the month. December 2014: Alan Jacob's "Book of Common Prayer" at: http://www.amazon.com/Book-Common-Prayer-Biography-Religious/dp/0691154813/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417814005&sr=8-1&keywords=jacobs+book+of+common+prayer. January 2015: A.F. Pollard's "Thomas Cranmer and the English Reformation: 1489-1556" at: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Cranmer-English-Reformation-1489-1556/dp/1592448658/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420055574&sr=8-1&keywords=A.F.+Pollard+Cranmer. February 2015: Jaspar Ridley's "Thomas Cranmer" at: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Cranmer-Jasper-Ridley/dp/0198212879/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422892154&sr=8-1&keywords=jasper+ridley+cranmer&pebp=1422892151110&peasin=198212879

Friday, March 21, 2014

21 Mar 1748 & 1805: Mr. (Rev.) John Newton's Journal Entry, the Author of "Amazing Grace"


21 March 1748 and 1805. 

John Newton, a Sailor, a Sea Captain, and a Church of England cleric pens in his journal the annual anniversary of his conversion to Christ, a date he celebrated annually:  “Not well able to write; but I endeavor to observe the return of this day with humiliation, prayer and praise.” 

He goes back to 21 March 1748 and makes a journal entry towards the end of life on 21 March 1805.  He died 21 Dec 1807.  Here’s some of the backstory.

John Newton was born in 1725 to a Sea Captain.  John’s mother died when he was 6. He went to sea with his father.  He became a sailor in the slave trade.

In 1748, he wrote journal entries chronicling his reading and meditations about himself, his sins and their gravities, believing his own to be too great for divine forgiveness. A journal entry of 21 March 1748 chronicles the date.

“This is a day much to be remembered by me, and I have never suffered it to pass wholly unnoticed since the year 1748.  On that day the Lord sent from on high and delivered me out of the deep waters…I stood in need of an Almighty Saviour, and such a one I found described in the New Testament…I was no longer an infidel; I heartily renounced my former profaneness, and I had taken up some right notions; was seriously disposed, and sincerely touched with a sense of the undeserved mercy I had received, in being brought safe through many dangers.”

John continued sailing, reading the Bible and reading other books.

At age 39, in 1764, he became a Church of England cleric.  He was a Reformed Prayer Book Churchman.

He penned his autobiography with “Amazing Grace.”  A rendering is presented at St. Paul’s, London. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0RMWUXsfk0 .  Let’s raise a toast to Ms. (PB) Schori who doesn’t think “salvation” pertains to individuals in the Bible.

1.          Amazing grace! How sweet the sound 
            that saved a wretch like me! 
            I once was lost, but now am found; 
            was blind, but now I see. 
 
2.          'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear, 
            and grace my fears relieved; 
            how precious did that grace appear 
            the hour I first believed. 
 
3.          Through many dangers, toils, and snares, 
            I have already come; 
            'tis grace hath brought me safe thus far, 
            and grace will lead me home. 
 
4.          The Lord has promised good to me, 
            his word my hope secures; 
            he will my shield and portion be, 
            as long as life endures. 
 
5.          Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail, 
            and mortal life shall cease, 
            I shall possess, within the veil, 
            a life of joy and peace. 
 
6.          When we've been there ten thousand years, 
            bright shining as the sun, 
            we've no less days to sing God's praise 
            than when we first begun. 
 
The hymn is retained, perhaps embarrassingly so, in the 1982 Episcopal Hymnal, #671.  Each week forms a contrast between the hymnal and the liberals. 

We close as we started.  John Newton, a Sailor, Sea Captain, Church of England cleric, and Reformed Prayer Book Churchman pens in his journal the annual anniversary of his conversion to Christ, a date he celebrated annually:  “Not well able to write; but I endeavor to observe the return of this day with humiliation, prayer and praise.”

No comments: