Reformed Churchmen

We are Confessional Calvinists and a Prayer Book Church-people. In 2012, we remembered the 350th anniversary of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer; also, we remembered the 450th anniversary of John Jewel's sober, scholarly, and Reformed "An Apology of the Church of England." In 2013, we remembered the publication of the "Heidelberg Catechism" and the influence of Reformed theologians in England, including Heinrich Bullinger's Decades. For 2014: Tyndale's NT translation. For 2015, John Roger, Rowland Taylor and Bishop John Hooper's martyrdom, burned at the stakes. Books of the month. December 2014: Alan Jacob's "Book of Common Prayer" at: http://www.amazon.com/Book-Common-Prayer-Biography-Religious/dp/0691154813/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417814005&sr=8-1&keywords=jacobs+book+of+common+prayer. January 2015: A.F. Pollard's "Thomas Cranmer and the English Reformation: 1489-1556" at: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Cranmer-English-Reformation-1489-1556/dp/1592448658/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420055574&sr=8-1&keywords=A.F.+Pollard+Cranmer. February 2015: Jaspar Ridley's "Thomas Cranmer" at: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Cranmer-Jasper-Ridley/dp/0198212879/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422892154&sr=8-1&keywords=jasper+ridley+cranmer&pebp=1422892151110&peasin=198212879

Sunday, July 1, 2012

SGM-Mahaneygate/Maresco's Confession: "Just Say It: `I'm a Dumb Ass'"

We pull one section from a family meeting of Ceej (C.J.) Mahaney’s church (from which he fled), Covenant Life (CLC), Gaithersburg, MD.  The meeting occurred last Thursday night, 28 Jun 2012. The various Elders put forward a confession of their manifold wickednesses.  Here’s an old hand, Kenneth Maresco.  We will interlineate our commentary in red bold.  Go ahead and say it, Maresco:  "I've been an ignorant Dumb Ass year in and year out, like old Ceej."


1. Kenneth Maresco - An Arrogant View of Our Church (Yes, a bunch of uneducated enthusiasts who are, at base, sectarians and schismatics who start a hothouse Pentecostalist religion thinking “they are the best brand” on the streets.)

Several of the categories we want to acknowledge relate to pride. The first is pride in our church. AoR observed is that we valued humility, which was a good thing, but that we could also be proud of our humility. AoR wrote, “some were proud of their accomplishment in humility. They talked about it in such a way as to distinguish themselves from people outside their fellowship...” (p. 14).  (Duh??!!!)
Some might prefer to call these Dumb Shepherds of dumb sheep being misled.
We'll stick with a different metaphor, "Dumb Asses"
Mahaney & Co. for decades thought that
ignorant Dumb Asses would be learned,
astute, deliberative, balanced, and with historic sense
and depth.  Now, the truth emerges.

We are grateful for all that God has done in our church these past 35 years. (Which is what?  Create a pack of proud churches thinking they’re the best thing afoot?  And leading others to that view?  To the 100s left in the destructive wake of pride?  Including 100 disillusioned and broken Pastors in the wake?) And there is a godly way to be grateful for all that the Lord has done and continues to do in and through Covenant Life. But, at times, we have also stepped over the line (Maresco, you say “stepped over the line?”  Again, "stepped over the line?"  How about “lived and established a community that inhabited and lived over the line as proud and arrogant people?”  This is a substantial understatement that fails to comprehend the foundational hubris of being led by “Dumb Asses” without educations and yet talking publicly) to think too highly of ourselves as a church. (Any reasonable inquirer would have seen this with ease with some limited exposure)  There have been public and private communications that have put us in a good light compared to other leaders, churches or denominations. (Yada yada yada, blah, blah, blah.) We’ve been proud of the rightness of our doctrine, the goodness of our practice or the uniqueness of being Reformed-Charismatics. (You still think that.)  In pride, we have thought and acted as though we were better than others. (Ya think?)  The past year has been particularly helpful in curing us of this view. (And ya think Mahaney thinks that...that he's been cured...or is he still in a fugitive status from CLC?)

I’d like to speak personally to this issue. I have spoken to numerous men in their 50’s (What's it like to be in your 50s and discover you've been arrogant and proud for so long?  Well, better now to see it than at the Final Judgment where there will be no errors, deception, coverup and deceit.  What's it like to get a wake-up lesson in your 50s?  How's Harvey doing these days too?) who have been here a long time who have told me that the events of the past year have had a draining effect on their spiritual lives.  I am in my 50’s and in the past year, I have faced the same temptations.  (And you’ve been around SGM for years and are just seeing this?  There’s no other conclusion but that Dumb Asses have led this pack of enthusiasts and utterly proud Dudes thinking “they’ve arrived." Hah!  And Maresco is just learning this in the “last year?”  Ya been blind for years?  It took Brent Detwiler to open your eyes?  Maresco, nice little confession, but trust and confidence is gone.) I moved here to work for People of Destiny International (Clearly, you weren’t too bright then and, clearly, you weren’t very well educated either, like Mahaney and Tomczak), I was hired by John Loftness and Larry Tomczak, I came on staff at the invitation of C.J. Mahaney and I worked for Sovereign Grace for many years. I have been on staff of this church since 1991. The disappointments of the past year have been very deep and very painful. (And Maresco, what’s your view of your new SGM leader, Mahaney?  His fugitive status?  Very poor resume, by the way.  I wouldn't have posted this but would have by-passed it.)

As I have sought to sort through, issues of grief, disappointment, self-pity, and guilt, I have recognized that one category in my soul where I have experienced personal conviction relates to this issue of pride. And this has helped me with some of my disillusionment because genuine repentance brings hope.

Part of the pain of this year is that some of my old idols are being displaced. (Like the long, sustained, eery, excessive--and stupid--praise of C.J. Mahaney, hand-clapping and phone piety?) God has helped me see that I sinned in my thinking (Though Detwiler's expose of manifold wickednesses) about our church and our movement of churches. I proudly thought we were the best. (And stupidly and ignorantly so in manifold wickedness and narcissistic supremacism, despite centuries of faithful Churchmen and Churchwomen.  Heavy reading would have taught you that, Maresco, rather than living virtually your entire ministerial life in arrogance and pride.  Dumb ass.  You and the whole lot of your leaders didn't think you needed learning.  Add that to your self-assessment.  Go ahead, Maresco, say this:  “I was a big dumb ass for years and years.”)


And as that idol has been removed I have been confused and disillusioned, and forced to worship God alone. That has painful but it has been good. (Add this, Maresco:  “It’s been helpful to see what a stupid ass I’ve been, like Mahaney, a fellow Dumb Ass.) Whatever is not for the glory of Jesus Christ must be shaken, it must be removed.

I have repented before God and confessed my sins to him. He is faithful and just to cleanse me from all unrighteousness. (A good start.  Good place to be.  Nontheless, you are not qualified to lead anything.)  But I want to confess to you, because as a leader I know that my pride affected you in different ways.  (Add this to the case:  “Yes, I have been party to extending the proud dumb ass culture to 90 churches and 28,000 adherents.  I repent in ashes and dustcloth.)  I want to ask you to forgive me for my contribution to this error and for whatever ways I/we as leaders contributed to this sin in your life.  (Maresco, you are forgiven, but given your historic failues, you are unqualified for ministry.  How can you be this stupid for years and years and expect a place of leadership?)  I am sincerely sorry. (Forgiven indeed, but disqualified from leadership due to historic failures.  Return to the pews or go back to school for several years.)  I/we have repented are committed to leading in the days ahead seeking to remove this leaven of pride from our leadership and church culture. (Maresco, you can start by calling on Mahaney to repent of his arrogance, pride, ignorance like your own, and need to repent in dustcloth and ashes.  Maresco, case closed.  You’ve been an historic dumb ass misleading 1000s.  Maresco, you can't just say the above and expect credibility, after decades of arrogance, pride, hubris and impoverished thinking and leadership.  If folks follow you after this, their bust for being as dumb as you.  If you're offended by this, Maresco, you haven't repented.)



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I left the church of CLC years ago because I sensed a blind religious pride. I dealt with Ken Maresco directly and helped start an international ministry there many years ago. CJ Mahaney and the church are intense, and some the the environment is religiously dangerous. Having said that, I can say that the ministry is one of the most powerful models, I have ever experienced in my entire life. God's Holiness is preached. CJ anbd the leaders are men of God to be resepcted on many fronts. They speak for God far more than you or I have ever done or likelyt will. This kind of ministry is rare and very needed in are luke warm church world. I have never wanted a god that was not real and could change heart and minds. I had just returned from many years abroad and was going through my own post traumatic return to the US after years in the USSR. Very few had any idea where I had been or even seemed to care, and that is fine. Ken Maresco personally did his best to minister to me. I was apprehensive and frankly had my own issues. Ken did his best, and like all spiritual leaders had to be serious about sin, namely my own. CJ and this church understand very rightfully the utter rebelliousness of who we are, and the truth is I think that what they are doing on the whole has ministered to thousands and millions. People are going to be misunderstood and hurt. I was one of them. Ken is doing his best to be humble and you have the audacity to mock him in the most juvenile of ways. Your spirit sir is what I find disturbing not his willingness to try admit past wrongs. I do not have any idea what has happened at CLC, but I am sure that probably both sides of the issue are right. What I believe with all my heart is that God works all things together for the good. great saints of God have undergone much more serious persecutions than what many say has happened at the hands of this church. Tony Young

Unknown said...

I left the church of CLC years ago due to my own feeling of in adequacy and why I deemed as corporate and blind religious pride. I dealt with Ken Maresco directly and helped start an international ministry there many years ago. CJ Mahaney and the church are intense, and some the environment was in my opinion, religiously dangerous. Having said that, I must also say that the ministry is one of the most powerful Christ like models, I have ever experienced in my entire life. God's Holiness is preached. CJ and the leaders are men of God to be respected on many fronts. They speak for God far more than you or I have ever done or likely will in our lives. This kind of ministry is rare and very needed in the lukewarm church world. I have never wanted a god that was not real and could change heart and minds.
I had just returned from many years abroad and was going through my own post traumatic return to the US after years in the USSR. Very few had any idea where I had been or even seemed to care, and that was fine. Ken Maresco personally did his best to minister to me. I was apprehensive and frankly had my own issues. Ken did his best, and like all spiritual leaders had to be serious about sin, namely my own. He was one of the few people who cared enough to speak into my life.
CJ and this church understand very rightfully the utter rebelliousness of who we are. There is no question in my mind that what they are doing, on the whole has ministered to thousands and millions of people who need to know… Is God and his Word real? Can it be practically applied to my life and bring change and peace? The power of the Gospel is going to offend. The best of men are very fallen indeed. People are going to be misunderstood and hurt. I was one of them.
But there is no question that Ken is doing his best to be humble and you have the audacity to mock him in the most juvenile of ways? Your spirit sir is what I find disturbing, Not his willingness to try to admit past wrongs. I do not have any idea what has happened at CLC over the past decade plus, but while many of us how been in and out of the light, these men have stayed steadfast in serving the Living God.
I do not know all of what has happened in the past political crisis and I am not surprised that Brent Detwiler stepped out. It seemed to me that eventually someone had to. I do not know any of the facts, and perhaps both sides of the issue are right from one vantage or another. What I believe with all my heart is that God works all things together for His good and purposes and humility and forgiveness must be at the forefront.
Great saints of God have undergone much more serious persecutions in places like Russia, than what many say has happened at the hands of this church. The things that they have done ofr a pure and holy God who cries out for true life in his creation, can only be determined in eternity. In the good the bad and the ugly, I will always love and respect these men for daring to break the wild horse that I was an sometimes still am. Frankly most people or churches to the lost souls of the world such as you and I.
In my view dear sir… You lose all credibility based on your use of ‘ dumb a…’ or idiot. Jesus was very specific in his warning against this kind of accusations against anyone, much less a servant of Christ. I suggest you read what Jesus had to say about this and reflect on where your own heart is with a living and Holy God.
Tony Young