Loraine Boettner (March 7, 1901 – January 3, 1990) was an American theologian, teacher, and author in the Reformed tradition. He is best known for his works on predestination, Roman Catholicism, and Postmillennial eschatology.
Boettner was born in Linden, Missouri. He received a Th.B. (1928) and Th.M. (1929) from Princeton Theological Seminary, and he received the honorary degrees of Doctor of Divinity (1933) and Doctor of Letters (1957). He was a member of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church. For eight years he taught Bible at Pikeville College in Kentucky, and in 1937 he began working at the Library of Congress and the Bureau of Internal Revenue.
While his daily vocation was not theology or Biblical studies, he continued to write and publish books until near his death, the most successful of which were The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination and Roman Catholicism, Boettner's critical commentary on the Roman Catholic faith. This book has been called by its critics "The Anti-Catholic Bible" because of the author's aim to antagonize the Catholic Church, which, according to them, "has gravely compromised his intellectual objectivity". A recent doctoral study claims that the research done by Boettner in Roman Catholicism "is simply flimsy" and makes use of old and refuted anti-Catholic clichés.
The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination and Immortality were translated into Chinese by Charles H. Chao (1952, 1962), into German by Ivo Carobbio, and into Japanese.
- The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination (1932) ISBN 978-0-87552-112-1
- Harmony of the Gospels (1933) (1976) ISBN 978-0-87552-132-9
- A Summary of the Gospels (1934)
- The Inspiration of the Scriptures (1940)
- The Person of Christ (1943)
- Studies in Theology (1947) ISBN 978-0-87552-115-2
- Immortality (1956) ISBN 978-0-87552-146-6
- The Millennium (1957) revised ed. (1984) ISBN 978-0-87552-128-2
- Roman Catholicism (1962) revised ed. (1966) ISBN 978-0-85151-082-8
- The Mass (1966)
- Divorce (1972) ISBN 978-0-87552-126-8
- The Reformed Faith (1983) ISBN 978-0-87552-122-0
- The Atonement
- The Christian Attitude Towards War (1985) ISBN 978-0-87552-118-3