Reformed Churchmen

We are Confessional Calvinists and a Prayer Book Church-people. In 2012, we remembered the 350th anniversary of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer; also, we remembered the 450th anniversary of John Jewel's sober, scholarly, and Reformed "An Apology of the Church of England." In 2013, we remembered the publication of the "Heidelberg Catechism" and the influence of Reformed theologians in England, including Heinrich Bullinger's Decades. For 2014: Tyndale's NT translation. For 2015, John Roger, Rowland Taylor and Bishop John Hooper's martyrdom, burned at the stakes. Books of the month. December 2014: Alan Jacob's "Book of Common Prayer" at: January 2015: A.F. Pollard's "Thomas Cranmer and the English Reformation: 1489-1556" at: February 2015: Jaspar Ridley's "Thomas Cranmer" at:

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

December 1133 A.D.—Present. St. Radegund’s Priory & Jesus College, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire—Benedictine Nuns; Founded 1133 by John de Cranden; Destroyed 1376 and 1389; Dissolved 1496; Founded as Jesus College, Cambridge Currently On the Site; Priory Church of Blessed Virgin Mary and Saint Radegund; Thomas Cranmer’s College

December 1133 A.D.—Present.  St. Radegund’s Priory & Jesus College, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire—Benedictine Nuns; Founded 1133 by John de Cranden;  Destroyed 1376 and 1389;  Dissolved 1496;  Founded as Jesus College, Cambridge Currently On the Site;  Priory Church of Blessed Virgin Mary and Saint Radegund;  Thomas Cranmer’s College

St Radegund's Priory, Cambridge

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The church of the nunnery, now Jesus College Chapel

Historical plan of Jesus College (1897) showing the monastic buildings

St Radegund's Priory, Cambridge was a Benedictine nunnery in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England. It was founded before 1144 (probably in the late 1130s) and dissolved in 1496 by the initiative of John Alcock, Bishop of Ely.[1]

Radegund was a 6th-century Frankish princess, who founded the monastery of the Holy Cross at Poitiers. Between 1159 and 1161 Malcolm IV of Scotland, as Earl of Huntingdon, gave to the nuns 10 acres adjoining Grenecroft (Midsummer Common) on which to place their church; the dedication to St Mary and St Radegund was probably connected with Malcolm's visit to Poitiers, 'the special centre of the cult of St Radegund', in 1159.

Jesus College was founded in 1496 on the site by Bishop John Alcock of Ely. It has been traditionally believed that the nunnery was turned into a college because the nunnery had gained a reputation for licentiousness. The College's full name is "The College of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Saint John the Evangelist and the glorious Virgin Saint Radegund, near Cambridge".

When founded in 1496, the College took over the buildings of the nunnery: namely the Chapel, and the Cloister attached to it; the nuns’ refectory, which became the college hall; and the former lodging of the prioress, which became the Master’s Lodge. These conventual buildings remain the core of the College and account for its distinctly monastic character which sets it apart from other Cambridge colleges. A library was soon added, and the Chapel was considerably modified and reduced in scale by Alcock. Founded in the mid-12th century, the Chapel is the oldest university building in Cambridge still in use.


1.       Jump up^ 'Houses of Benedictine nuns: Priory of St Radegund, Cambridge', A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 2 (1948), pp. 218-219. URL: Date accessed: 21 February 2013

No comments: