Frédéric Louis Godet (October 25, 1812, Neuchâtel–October 29, 1900, Neuchâtel) was a Swiss Protestant theologian. After studying theology at Neuchâtel, Bonn and Berlin, he was in 1850 appointed professor of theology at Neuchâtel. From 1851 to 1866 he also held a pastorate. In 1873 he became one of the founders of the free Evangelical Church of Neuchâtel, and professor in its theological faculty. A conservative scholar, Godet was the author of some noteworthy French commentaries.
His commentaries are on
- Gospel of St John (2 vols., 1863–1865; 3rd ed., 1881–1888; Eng. trans. 1886, &c.)
- St Luke (2 vols., 1871; 3rd ed., 1888; Eng. trans. 1875, &c.)
- the Epistle to the Romans (2 vols., 1879–1880; 2nd ed., 1883–1890; Eng. trans., 1880, &c.)
- Corinthians (2 vols., 1886–1887; Eng. trans. 1886, &c.).
His other works include
- Etudes bibliques (2 vols., 1873–1874; 4th ed., 1889; Eng. trans. 1875 f.). French text :
- Introduction au Nouveau Testament (1893 f.; Eng. trans., 1894, &c) Pdf (French) :
- Lectures in Defence of the Christian Faith (Eng. trans. 4th ed., 1900).
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.