- What’s the value of this story to a young person in 2014?
- Should we tell these stories today? Are they repressed in some quarters? Why aren’t TV networks telling these stories?
- How was Henry VIII’s behavior, if at all, coordinated with Francis 1’s?
- How much of the “Placards Affair” was known in England, Germany and elsewhere?
- If repressed, would you flee your native land or simply acquiesce to the entrenched theologies and interests?
- Did Calvin dedicate anything to Francis 1? Or, other Reformed writers? If so, what? If so, why?
- Does the rehearsal of these horror stories reverse ecumenical dialogue?
- Should Rome repent of the “St. Bartholomew’s Day” Massacre in 24 Oct 1572? Should we insist on the Pope coming clean and doing an international act of public repentance for his outfit in Rome? Should the Pope write a document of repentance, circulate it internationally, and require every parish to read the Pope’s maxima mea culpa for generational and trans-national murders? If not, why not? How will Jesus handle these matters at the Last Judgment? Rev.6.9ff.?
We are Confessional Calvinists and a Prayer Book Church-people. In 2012, we remembered the 350th anniversary of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer; also, we remembered the 450th anniversary of John Jewel's sober, scholarly, and Reformed "An Apology of the Church of England." In 2013, we remembered the publication of the "Heidelberg Catechism" and the influence of Reformed theologians in England, including Heinrich Bullinger's Decades. For 2014: Tyndale's NT translation. For 2015, John Roger, Rowland Taylor and Bishop John Hooper's martyrdom, burned at the stakes. Books of the month. December 2014: Alan Jacob's "Book of Common Prayer" at: http://www.amazon.com/Book-Common-Prayer-Biography-Religious/dp/0691154813/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417814005&sr=8-1&keywords=jacobs+book+of+common+prayer. January 2015: A.F. Pollard's "Thomas Cranmer and the English Reformation: 1489-1556" at: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Cranmer-English-Reformation-1489-1556/dp/1592448658/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420055574&sr=8-1&keywords=A.F.+Pollard+Cranmer. February 2015: Jaspar Ridley's "Thomas Cranmer" at: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Cranmer-Jasper-Ridley/dp/0198212879/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422892154&sr=8-1&keywords=jasper+ridley+cranmer&pebp=1422892151110&peasin=198212879