Foundation: 1135 Mother house: Furness
Relocation: (resettlement) 1143 Founder: Ranulf II (de Gernon), earl of Chester
Dissolution: 1536 Prominent members:
Access: Private property – no access
A second colony of monks was sent to Calder from Furness in or about 1143, under the leadership of Abbot Hardred. This time the settlement was successful, although the community remained poor.(2) Calder, along with all the other Savigniac houses, was transferred to the Cistercian Order in 1147. The number of monks probably never increased above the original thirteen, and by 1381 there were only four monks and three lay-brothers.(3)
The ruins stand in the grounds of an eighteenth-century private house, and may be visited by prior arrangement with the owner.