Reformed Churchmen

We are Confessional Calvinists and a Prayer Book Church-people. In 2012, we remembered the 350th anniversary of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer; also, we remembered the 450th anniversary of John Jewel's sober, scholarly, and Reformed "An Apology of the Church of England." In 2013, we remembered the publication of the "Heidelberg Catechism" and the influence of Reformed theologians in England, including Heinrich Bullinger's Decades. For 2014: Tyndale's NT translation. For 2015, John Roger, Rowland Taylor and Bishop John Hooper's martyrdom, burned at the stakes. Books of the month. December 2014: Alan Jacob's "Book of Common Prayer" at: http://www.amazon.com/Book-Common-Prayer-Biography-Religious/dp/0691154813/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417814005&sr=8-1&keywords=jacobs+book+of+common+prayer. January 2015: A.F. Pollard's "Thomas Cranmer and the English Reformation: 1489-1556" at: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Cranmer-English-Reformation-1489-1556/dp/1592448658/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420055574&sr=8-1&keywords=A.F.+Pollard+Cranmer. February 2015: Jaspar Ridley's "Thomas Cranmer" at: http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Cranmer-Jasper-Ridley/dp/0198212879/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422892154&sr=8-1&keywords=jasper+ridley+cranmer&pebp=1422892151110&peasin=198212879

Sunday, November 7, 2010

1978 Prayer by Donald Philip Veitch

I pulled a book off the shelf, as I was reading before church...headed out here shortly. Out fell a hand-written prayer dated 1978. I am an adopted son in Anglicanism. 1981 is when I became a Reformed Episcopalian, so this predates that. However, as a Reformed Churchman (thanks goes to Dad for this), schooled in that great Confession (WCF), nonetheless, I often wrote prayers--I've lost or misplaced those written prayers, having moved so often with the military. Yet, here one dropped out of an old book. I post it here not as a maudlin or self-absorbed event, but in thanksgiving for His Majesty's preservation to this day, 7 Nov 2010, and for HM's answers to those prayers 32 years ago. Am still praying these words--in essence. Christ's benefits were promised to me in baptism and HM's Almighty Spirit "quickened me" when I was dead in sins and trespasses (Eph.2.4), enabling me to exercise justifying faith. To Him be all the glory. Ps. 71.5: "Through Thee I have been holden up ever since I was born; Thou are He that took me out of my mother's womb; my praise shall always be of Thee." Ps. 71.15: "Thou, O God, hast taught me from youth up until now: therefore will I tell of Thy wondrous works." Bottomline: God's covenanted mercies have been with this scribe, lo, these many years. God's covenanted mercies have been with my forbears in generations past. We pray the same for generations to come. "The God of Jacob is our God."

Here's what fell from the book to the floor.

"Almighty and most merciful God, grant that in our lives we would be diligent and apply ourselves to our tasks according to our abilities. More specifically, grant that we would persistently obey Thy voice; that we would wait daily upon Thee, attuning our minds and heart to Thy Holy Word. We praise Thee that by Thy Almighty Word the heavens and earth were created--that by Thy Word they consist and cohere--that by Thy Word and command, nations are lifted up and others humbled. Grant that we would diligently cleave to Thy instruction, as humble children willingly to hear and obey a Parent. Enable us to listen to Thee carefully, with meditation, with quietness and receptivity. Speak the Word, O Blessed God, and we shall be healed. For Thy sake and service and in Thy Thrice-Mighty Name, Father, Son and Holy Ghost, Amen."

No comments: